What is Spiritual Formation?
Nurturing spiritual depth, energy and excellence is the centerpiece in ACOM’s vision for equipping students for lifetime ministry. ACOM has long recognised that attention to one’s spiritual formation is the crucial element that enables ministers to thrive in sometimes difficult environments.
Therefore ACOM empowers students to progress in their personal spiritual formation throughout their study period as well as equip them with skills to manage their ongoing formation.
Spiritual formation in general continues through the lifespan offering invitations of increasing complexity, therefore our ‘Spiritual Formation’ units are suitably designed for all adult stages.
For ACOM students, formational studies do not sit as an option or supplement to other subjects, rather ‘Spiritual Formation’ units are mandatory for three full years of an undergraduate degree and one year of a post graduate degree.
‘Spiritual Formation’ students participate in a three day retreat at the beginning of each year. They form regional groups in each state and continue to meet regularly throughout the year. Each group is facilitated by a trained and skilled Formation Director. A Spiritual Director or Mentor also companions each student and forms a very important part of their formational extension. An online curriculum underpins the practical components of the Spiritual Formation units.
ACOM students from previous years report that the ‘Spiritual Formation units’ impacted their lives and ministries significantly and often rate these units as the highlight of their study experience.
‘Spiritual Formation’ units are designed to extend the capabilities of students in the following areas:
- Self awareness: distilling increasing self knowledge into wisdom making.
- Spiritual maturity: deepening intimacy with God through a range of spiritual disciplines resulting in an extension of spiritual virtues.
- Leadership capacity: broadening influence and spiritual authority through the development of key spiritual qualities that result in resilience in leadership.
- Vocational clarity: discerning and affirming purpose, calling, capacities and life direction.
- Emotional maturity: mastering and extending emotional intelligence, by increasing emotional recognition, expression and regulation.
- Personal integrity: bringing clarity and purity into ones heart and motives and personal transparency
- Relational skills: extending skill-sets that enhance depth of presence attunement and resonance with others.